Saturday, December 4, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

Tomorrow I'm going to be 38.  Here's a breakdown of where we are to this point:

Yesterday at the doctor, I weighed 448.  So far, I'm down 129 pounds from the high of 577.

Earlier this week, they drew 5 large vials of blood and did numerous tests on everything from PT/INR, Glucose, Kidney, Liver, Potassium, Cholesterol, etc. Some of the highlights:

PT/INR: 2.3. The goal is between 2 and 3 and I shot it right down the middle. This takes a lot of work. I eat roughly the same thing every day, avoiding any vegetables or foods high in Vitamin K. I got in trouble last month with the Green apple peels. Now I'm right back where I need to be.

Blood Sugar: 93. Comfortably under 100.  I was absolutely ecstatic to hear this. It had been 104, which is considered "pre-diabetic."  If I wasn't losing this weight, Type 2 Diabetes would be in my future. It runs in my family.  This is a miracle.

Potassium is within normal range. This is also a victory. I eat a potato a day and 2 or 3 bananas a day to make sure I get enough potassium.


My total cholesterol was 128.  This is fantastic, as anything below 200 is considered good. Actually, my "Good" cholesterol was a little low. So I have to explore getting that up by incorporating healthy oils and nuts into my diet.

I'm very happy with where I am right now.  I could lose the weight faster, but with the concerns about the blood clots coming back, I am only approved for light exercise. So I'm careful not to over-do it.  I'm also still quite heavy, so I have to be sure I don't injure myself.

All in all, not bad for the last 6 months. Bring on 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment