Monday, January 10, 2011

Things I used to do, but no longer do

Caffeine

I used to drink Diet Coke, Coke Zero and Diet Dr. Pepper like it was going out of style.  Hard to believe, but I never used to drink water. On any given day, I would easily drink a gallon (128 ounces) a day.

Some days, I would drink a whole 12 pack of cans (over a gallon.)

But, while I was in the hospital, I gave it up and switched to water and low-calorie drink mixes like Crystal Light.

Being hospitalized for a week gave me the environment I needed to kick my caffeine addiction.  I believe getting the proper amount of sleep is very key to successful weight loss.

Fast food

I used to eat fast food every day, sometimes twice a day.  I would go out to lunch from work to some place like Five Guys, Arby's or Burger King. Daily.

Then, on the way home, I would drive through either Burger King or McDonald's and eat fast food again. I'm sure I used to eat 10,000 calories a day.  No wonder I weighed 577 pounds.

Somehow, I have quit this cold turkey.  My last restaurant meal was June 19, 2010, the day before my collapse.  Where at? Moose's Famous Barbecue.

I'll eventually eat out again, but not for awhile.

Staying up all night

One  thing I used to do when I worked the evening shift was I would get off work at 11 or so, go home, then stay up all night. I usually went to bed around 5 or 6 in the morning.  I would eat all night long, right up until the point I went to sleep.

This self-destructive cycle continued when I would wake up, not eat breakfast and rush off to work.  Working nights promoted a starve/binge cycle where I would get really hungry and do dumb things like eat out of the vending machines, never pack my lunch and then eat fast food.

For at least the next year or so while I am losing weight, I will not work a night shift. I will stay on the morning shift, no matter what I do.

I blame that night-time lifestyle at least partially for my obesity.

No comments:

Post a Comment