Sunday, February 6, 2011

A trip through the Drive-thru

Today while filling up my car at the gas station, I got a big whiff of the french fries cooking at the McDonald's next to the gas station.

It got me to thinking.

I used to go to that McDonald's every day after work. What was I really eating? Let's add it up.

On an average visit:

1 Big Mac 540 calories

1 McChicken 360 calories

Super sized Fry 500 calories

Large Diet Coke 0 calories

2 Apple pies 500 calories


Total calories: 1900.  That's about what I eat in a day. The worst part? The McDonald's food was never that filling. I was always eating more a few hours later.

And you know what? I don't even blame McDonald's. They have their nutrition information widely available...some of it even printed on their wrappers. They make no secret about the food they sell.

At the end of the day, it is up to us what we eat.  How much, how often, the portion size, etc.

1 comment: