Sunday, March 6, 2011

Commentary: weight loss shows

Time to "weigh in" (no pun intended) on all of these shows about the overweight.

At the outset, I want to say that TV networks are free to produce whatever shows they want and they obviously wouldn't be making shows about heavy people if there wasn't an audience for it.

That said, I won't be watching any of them.  I have never seen The Biggest Loser, Heavy, Too Fat for 15, etc.  Why?

I don't believe somebody's deep, personal struggle with food belongs on TV.  Does all human misery have to be televised?  In some ways, I think these shows trivialize obesity. 

Whoever can lose the most weight from one week to the next means nothing.  How about a show called "The Biggest Keeper Offer?"  That is the *real* struggle and challenge with weight loss.  Who can keep it off the longest.  Any dummy can lose weight.  How about losing that weight and coming back on TV in 10 years and stepping on the scale?

I don't know where I read this, but somebody had it right: it's not about weight loss, it's about weight control.  Very true.

As for these shows....not everything has to be on TV.  It really doesn't. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you, Bryan Ganey.

    ReplyDelete