Thursday, August 4, 2011

Eating healthy costs more? Nope!

I came across a news story that talks about how eating healthy costs more and since the economy is so bad, darn it, some people just won't be able to afford the extra cost.  So I guess I should just give up, crawl back into my cave and go back to eating cheeseburgers, Little Debbie snack cakes and ramen noodles every 5 minutes.

Are you kidding me? Really? What nonsense. The reason this is a complete lie is because the article does not address the #1 cause of unhealthy eating:

Eating out all the time.

Even if you accept the premise that healthy grocery shopping costs more than unhealthy grocery shopping (which I don't, by the way) it's still cheaper to eat healthy than not if you stay out of the restaurants. Let's look at the math:

According to this link, the average American spends $2,736 a year in restaurants and bars.  That's an average of about $50 a week.  For most people I know, it's more. But whatever.

The article says eating healthy costs an extra $7.28 a week.  I think if you quit eating out, you can afford the $7.28.

And what about other sources of unhealthy eating?  How about the vending machines?  Your daily drive-thru latte purchase? It all adds up.

Say nothing of the impact on your health.  What about the financial consequences of an unhealthy diet, such as more doctor visits and more medications?  How much does that cost?

Eating healthy does NOT cost more.  Unhealthy eating does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment