Thursday, August 11, 2011

Getting your sleep right



One of these days when I write my best-selling diet book, chapter one is going to be entitled:

Step one: Get your sleep right.

I am learning as time goes on that my sleeping patterns rule everything.

If I don't get enough sleep, here's what happens:

-I eat more because my body is starved for energy

-My workouts suffer. When I am tired, I have nowhere near the energy to be able to workout effectively.

-Lifting weights becomes very difficult.  I can't lift as much, do as many reps, etc.  It just is much, much harder.

-Getting through the day is hard.  Since I had to give up caffeine a year ago, if I don't get enough sleep....I am dead in the water.

Never mind the fact that a lack of sleep causes a generally bad attitude and the people around you suffer.

How much sleep?  Hard to say.  I suppose everyone is different.  I'm no expert, but I've discovered I need at least 7 hours.  6 isn't enough.  I always read 8 hours is the normal.

Some people get by with less.  Whatever that amount is, be sure to get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment