Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What I think about exercise





















It's been 14 months now since I started this weight loss journey and it has been filled with ups and downs. Mostly ups, some downs.

I recently overcame 2 injuries, 1 to my knee and another to my rib cage.  How did this happen?  I overdid it. I tried to do too much. So I had to sit for almost 2 weeks and watch my weight loss slow down and my muscles I had worked so hard to develop weaken.

I've been back at it for a few weeks and I wanted to make a blog posting about exercise as part of a weight loss program.

I think people have it all wrong.  I think people overdo it. Bad.

But can you blame them?  Every message people get through the media, health club commercials and exercise machine commercials is the same: you have to go kill yourself non-stop to get results.  I see it all the time in the gym.  Somebody joins up, comes twice a day for 10 days in a row, then you never see them again.

I think the answer really is in the old adage that "slow and steady wins the race."  I think to be successful, people should start out very slow and consistent.  Thinking back, when I started out at over 500 pounds last summer, I couldn't walk very far at all.  My exercise was pushing a grocery cart around Walmart a few times a week.

Then, I increased it to walking about a half mile twice a week, then up to 3 times a week.  And so on.

I realize that everyone wants instant results and therein lies the problem.  But over time, if you consistently exercise, there will be greater benefits and rewards than if you burn yourself out.

And finally: if you're going to work out, seek out professional help.  Find a trainer.  Somebody that knows what they're doing.  Because it is very easy to hurt yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment