Saturday, September 24, 2011

It looks easy, but it isn't. Not by a long shot.

It's interesting the perceptions that people have when you're doing something difficult like a lifestyle change.  When they see you succeeding, they think it's easy for you.  But I am here to tell you:

It is not easy.  It is never easy.  In fact, it's hard.  And every day, it gets harder.

When I first started losing weight last year, I would lie to people. I would say "It's easy, once you get started."  And yes, there are periods of time where I feel less challenged and success seems to come more easily.  But over time, I've realized that it isn't easy.  I've been challenged. I've had some serious ups and downs and have had to work harder than I ever have at anything else in my life.

So here's the truth.  Losing weight is hard.  Getting started is hard.  Maintaining the weight you've already lost while trying to lose more is hard.  Completely reinventing your entire menu every few months, just to keep things interesting...is hard.

This is a lifelong process. I'm 15 months into this lifestyle change, the longest I have ever been committed to healthy eating and exercise.  I take one day at a time. I feel secure in knowing the changes I've made are permanent, but so are the challenges.

There will always be something to try and break my resolve. Always.  Whether it's a TV commercial, a well-meaning person offering me free food or some other stumbling block, I have to be on the look out at all times.

So no, it's not easy.  But it's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Mary "Schuermann" KuhlmanOctober 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM

    Bryan, your old radio pal Mary here...I love your blog and I enjoy your Facebook posts. Personally, I've lost over 50 pounds, 24% of my body weight over the past year. I know where you are coming from with eight loss looking easy when it is a hard task. I realized when I embarked on my journey that it would be a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. I discovered this saying and remind myself of it all the time: "Losing weight is hard, being fat is hard. Choose your hard." It's a lifelong process and you just have to take it day by day, bite my bite, step by step. You are such an inspiration. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete