Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Stop Focusing On The Scale

In almost every diet I have ever heard about, it goes something like this: you do whatever you do to lose weight, then weigh in.

Most programs have you weigh in once a week.  Or some, for maximum idiocy, have you weigh daily. The focus becomes what the scale says.  The goal becomes weight loss and nothing else. And that, my friends, is the road to nowhere.

Thee who worships the scale is destined to drown in disappointment.  If your goal in becoming healthier is just to lose weight, save yourself the pain and aggravation and just give up now. 

I have a better idea.

For the first several months of my weight loss journey when the weight was falling off the fastest, I only weighed once a month. I honestly didn't care what the scale said most of the time. Sometimes I get caught up in it, but I try not to.

Yes, you have to weigh once in awhile to know where you stand. But getting caught up in the thrill of quick weight loss means you will become intoxicated with the euphoria of constant success.  To say you are setting yourself up for failure would be like saying the Titanic had a moisture problem.

So go easy on yourself. It's OK to throw yourself into your lifestyle change and create dramatic results.  But don't be addicted to it. Because one day, that weight loss will stall.

Remember, it's about the rest of your life. Not the next weigh-in on some stupid scale.  This may all sound like sour grapes from someone who isn't doing well, but I'm fine. I lost 4 pounds last time I weighed in.

I just know what it's like to gain weight back you have worked so hard to lose and realize you have to take a long-term view.  It's not about next week, or next month or even next year.  It's about adding 5, 10, 20 or even 30 years onto your life.  Living to see your kids grow up.  Regaining your mobility or not living with the cloud of diabetes and heart disease hanging over you.

Never forget that the lifestyle change you create for yourself is more important than any single weigh-in.  You are becoming someone else, someone healthier and leaving behind the bad habits and disease of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment