Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Water



Water. We all know we should drink more of it, but a lot of us don't. I never used to drink water. And yet, the human body requires water and a lot of it. 

Since this blog is about weight loss, I'll tie in my experiences with water.  It is next to impossible to control your appetite, lose weight and keep it off without consuming massive quantities of water.  I find when I start to slack off on my water consumption that I start to mistake thirst for hunger. When my eating feels like it's out of control, I realize I'm really thirsty and start pounding the water. 

The only thing that makes me feel full after eating is if I drink a lot of water with my meal. Otherwise, I am a bottomless pit. So how do you drink more water?

I was able to quit my 12-can-a-day diet soda habit (really) while I was in the hospital and switch to water.  It's hard. The caffeine withdrawal alone makes it very, very difficult.  But it's worth it. 

So go ahead, try some water.  Substitute 1 or 2 of your coffee/sodas, etc. with a bottle of water and gradually work it in.  Once it's all you drink, you'll start to crave it. 

Oh, and one more thing: water is the only thing that has zero calories.  You can have as much as you want. How awesome is that?

Here's a good rule of thumb for water consumption. You really do need a lot of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment