Monday, December 5, 2011

On turning 39



Today is my 39th birthday.

It used to be I dreaded getting older. For whatever reason, 29 was especially hard. For me, birthdays were depressing. They represented another year lost, another year of lost opportunity, another year of the same life I had been living.  Another year of limitations.

But no more.  Birthdays are now a celebration of life.  I'm excited about 39. I can't wait for 40.  And 41.

A year and a half ago, laying in the hospital, I did not believe I would see 38, much less 39. This is why I made the changes that I made to my lifestyle.  This is why I go to the gym when I don't want to.  This is why I walk 15 miles a week.  So that I can add more years to my life....and more life to my years.  So that there will be more birthdays.  That is all that sustains me, all that propels me forward.  The motivation, the will and the desire to live.

A friend asked me if I would be celebrating today by eating something special.  Absolutely not.  There will be no cake, there will be no ice cream.  And it's not because there is anything wrong with the cake or the ice cream.  I just choose to celebrate in other ways besides eating.

I think today I'll go to the beach.  Happy Birthday to me!

4 comments:

  1. Continuing congratulations Bryan. You should have another party at crossover at 288 lbs when you have lost an entire Bryan Ganey.

    Not that hard to achieve crossover on a mortgage; what you're doing is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you! Excellent job. I am now 49 and about to embark on new pattern for my life... actually taking a proactive direction for my health.
    Keep it up... and off!

    NucleusG4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out about the new Brian Ganey! Happy birthday and congrats! I can hardly believe the pictures as I look at the old and new Brian. I know how hard it is to lose weight and admire your attitude in getting the pounds off and keeping them off. You are right about getting older is getting better! At 75 I can personally attest to that. I love the peace, calm, knowledge, and love of life I gain each day. I'm wishing the same and MORE of all that for you. Good grief! You must have been a babe in arms when you joined MacMinute. You're still such a youngster. /;-)

    Keep up the great work! Kate/Ethel Sorensen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is great and amazing news! I struggled with losing 25 pounds. I am sure you are a true inspiration to others!

    Keep up the great work!

    Clay AKA Biggerfoot from many years ago!

    ReplyDelete