Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Stay humble, my friends.

I recently saw a presentation where a woman was talking to her audience about how she had lost 400 pounds.  What an amazing accomplishment.  She did it all on her own, using basic common sense, just like I have. Only hers was more.  I was blown away by her results.

And then I saw it.  The cocky attitude. The arrogance.  It became obvious to me watching her video that she believed she had the one and only true answer.  If everyone wanting to lose weight would just do what she did, the world would be perfect.  To hear her talk, you would think she was cured.

Only she's not. And neither am I, or anyone else. You see, my friends, that is the great lesson of weight loss.  When you're losing weight, you have to realize that there is a very specific reason that greater than 9 out of 10 people who lose weight gain it all back.

It's hard.  It's very, very, very hard.  Nothing anyone has been doing, will be doing, has discovered or has yet to discover will change that.

I was once where she was. 14 years ago when I was losing all this weight once before, I was on top of the world.  I thought I had all the answers.  I would talk endlessly about my weight loss and how I was doing.  How I had it all under control and no one else did.  I thought I had found the secret.  I had cracked the code.  I was cured of my obesity forever.  I used to go around telling people "I'll never go back."

2 years later, I had fallen from that lofty perch straight back down into the deepest depths of my food addiction.  I didn't just fall of the wagon....I dove headfirst off of it at 100 miles an hour.  I went from having an almost zen-like ability to control everything I ate to eating non-stop, as much as I could, as fast as I could.  Total control to zero control in 24 months.

Failure is a great teacher.  I think about what I went through every day.  And so I don't talk about my weight loss unless somebody brings it up.  I don't offer my opinion about what anyone else is doing unless asked.  I don't outwardly celebrate my weight loss.  I do celebrate in private with people that are close to me, but that's it.


Why?  Because I have to stay humble.  I know what could happen.  I know the deck is stacked.  I know that I am only as good as my last workout.  My last exercise. My last healthy meal.  It will never end. The struggle will go on forever, only it will get harder.  Temptation is always all around me.  I'm very confident I have the right attitude this time, but I don't have all the answers.  No one does.


I've said it before and I'll say it again: some days I feel like Superman.  Other days, it is a struggle.  On those days, I hate going to the gym.  Some days I am hungry all the time and I have to take it one meal at a time.  One snack at a time.  I pound the water just to get through the day.  It is a struggle.


So if you're losing weight, just remember: there is no need to spike the ball.

1 comment:

  1. Right on. It's a daily effort. it doesn't stop just because you reach that lower weight goal. A healthy diet is every day. That inner fight is constant. Keep winning it my friend.

    ReplyDelete