Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Why losing weight is a bad idea

I was telling my story to a group of people today and the conversation turned to the question of "how much weight did you lose and how long did it take you?"

I always answer, it's a perfectly normal question.  But now that I've had time to think about it, I'm realizing losing weight isn't the point. When someone says "I need to lose weight," that's really the last thing they need to do.

What I have to keep doing the rest of my life is to keep living a healthy lifestyle, which will cause a lower, healthier weight.  For me, this means:

-Eating breakfast consistently

-Packing a lunch every day and eating it

-Going to bed early and getting up early

-Getting some sort of exercise 3 to 5 times a week

-Measuring my portions and keeping a food journal

-Staying out of the drive-through

Losing weight with no plan, just for the sake of losing weight is what I have done in the past and always experienced failure. Without doing the daily work that comes with a lifestyle change, the temporary success always fades.

This is why lost weight is almost impossible to keep off.  The old habits come back.  *That* is going to me my greatest challenge.  Living that lifestyle that causes me to have a lower weight.  And trying to do it for the rest of my life.

And really, that has nothing to do with "losing weight."

3 comments:

  1. Vegetables can accompany all your food and you can also eat them as snacks. They are very low in fat, sugars and calories,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips indeed! I love my veggies!

    ReplyDelete