Monday, January 9, 2012

Uncork the R A G E

I get asked daily how people can find the motivation to lose weight.  People generally have a mental block that prevents them from "getting started."  I know I did for a lot of years.

Here's the best advice I can offer when it comes to motivation:

Get mad.  Get really, really, really mad. In other words, Uncork the Rage.  How are you going to generate this kind of productive anger?

Sit down and think long and hard about the limitations that come with being unhealthy.  If you are extremely overweight like I was, that's easy.  Aren't you tired of not being able to walk longer distances?  Wouldn't you like to take the stairs?  Are you tired of driving up and down the aisles at the grocery store, looking for that one spot close to the front door, so you don't have to walk far?

Or maybe you just have 20 to 30 pounds to lose.  Maybe you're tired of not being able to wear the latest fashions.  Maybe you're tired of being out of breath climbing the stairs to get into your apartment.

So do something about it.  Is this really what you want for yourself?  Is this "how you roll?"  Imagine how things will be the day those shackles are removed and the limitations are lifted.  Dream about the day when you can do anything you want, wear anything you want, drive any car, ride in any airplane.

And finally, one note.  When I say "uncork the rage," I don't mean get mad at yourself.  Beating yourself up is a counterproductive waste of time that only serves to delay your lifestyle change and your transformation.

Get mad at the situation.  Really, really, really mad. That fire, that motivation will burn inside of you every day and get you through the hard days.  I know it does me.




2 comments:

  1. This was a very timely post for me. I have been struggling with staying with my program. Sometimes I just want to quit, but I know I will never have the things I want if I do. One being in good health!

    I found your blog about a week ago and have found it to be very inspiring! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Karen! Glad you like the blog.

    ReplyDelete