Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!

Not to be the food police, or a wet blanket, or ruin anyone's fun, etc. but days like this are a good time to take a step back and ask yourself:  why do we celebrate with food?

Think about it for a minute.

You buy the love of your life a card and you write in it how much you love them.

Very nice.

You buy them a dozen roses.  Or an arrangement.  Or some other flowers.

Awesome.

And then you buy them a box of candy.

What?

Now stop for a minute.  I'm not chewing people out for eating candy.  Whatever, it's your body.  That's their choice.  My complaint is with the practice of celebrating with food.  It would bother me just as much as if you gave a loved one a healthy food item for Valentine's Day.

Why do we have to celebrate with food?  Incorporating food into every facet of my life is what brought me to the point I was at almost 2 years ago.  I believe it is the foundation of my food addiction problem.

Celebrate?  Eat.

Bored?  Eat.

Happy? Eat.

Sad? Eat some more.

New job?  Let's have dinner to celebrate! Good grades?  Have some ice cream!  Great job performance this week! Here's a pizza.

Remember:

Food is not a reward.  Food is not a celebration.  Food is not happiness.  Food is fuel.

That is all.

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% but could you tell my wife that. She is taking a cake decorating class and keeps trying to get me to eat what she makes but I keep telling her that I don't need it but at least she finally started listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I never really thought about it in that way. Thanks for putting it into perspective!

    ReplyDelete