Wednesday, February 15, 2012

If I could Shout One Thing From The Mountaintop...

....it would be this:

Stop looking for the Easy Button.

I hear people say it all the time and I still hear the undertones of the Easy Button in my e-mails.  Code words and phrases of the "quick fix" set include:

"My friend/family member/coworker lost _____ pounds on __________ diet.  Maybe I should try that."

"Maybe I should have weight loss surgery" (when the person is barely 100 pounds overweight.)

And then, here's my favorite....this is the denial phrase of the century...

"My problem is _________."  Fill in the blank with a situation over which the person has little control.  Such as a family member, a work situation that can't easily be changed or an obligation the person cannot readily get out of.  By creating an impossible situation, this gives the person in denial someone or something to blame.

Another B.S. line is this one...

"I don't have time."  Sure you do, you have plenty of time.  How much time do you spend watching TV?  There's your time.

"My husband/wife/spouse/partner will never do it."  So you can't do anything they don't do?  I believe your parents had a great line about jumping off a bridge when things came up like this as a kid.

If you read nothing I write nor believe anything I say, take this one to bank:

A person is overweight because they eat too many calories and move their body too little.

This is the only true reason.  Everything else is a lie.

And one more:

Never attempt a diet.  Any behavior you temporarily engage in will have temporary results.  Only eat the food and perform the exercises that you will engage in for the rest of your life.

People are always amazed when they find out I only go to the gym 3 times a week.  Going everyday is unrealistic for me.  I'm not going to do that the rest of my life.  But 3 times a week, with a day off in between, I can handle that.

If you're overweight and want to do something about it, but just aren't ready, that's fine.  I appreciate the honesty.  I've received a few e-mails like that.

But don't tell me it's because of somebody else or something else.  With rare exception, it's all self-inflicted.

I should know.


1 comment: