Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Motivation.....There Is Only One Place To Get It

Far and away, the most frequent question I get in your e-mails is this:

"Where do I get the motivation?"

I wish I had motivation I could give to people.  If I could, I would bottle it and sell it.  So where does motivation come from?  Only one place that I know of.

You.

I have to be completely honest.  Had I not almost dropped dead in 2010, I would not have undertaken this lifestyle change and thrown myself into it like I did.  The fear of death motivated me in the beginning.

You have to figure out what motivates you.  And that needs to be something that will continue to motivate you.  Whether it's improved health, the will to live, living long enough to see your kids/grandkids grow up, whatever it is.

I also think part of the problem, which I have e-mailed in replies to many of you, is that people sit around waiting for motivation.  They're waiting for lightning to strike, for something to reach out and put them on the road to success.

Chances are, it's never coming.

All you have to do to get started is to just get started.  It's not glamorous.  The rewards do not come right away.  It takes a long time and there is no quick fix.

But if you decide, right now....that tomorrow, you are going to walk on your lunch break.  If you decide that you will pack your lunch and eat it.  If you decide to shop at the grocery store instead of eating at a restaurant.

If you decide to do those things, congratulations! You've discovered some motivation.


What's your motivation and how did you get it?  Send it to me, bganey@gmail.com.  I'll put some of them in a future posting.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Bryan,

    Thanks for this post! I posted about my motivation (and like to your post) on my blog!

    http://healthnutholdthenut.blogspot.com/2012/02/motivation.html

    ReplyDelete