Monday, March 5, 2012

The Little Things

I have said over and over again on this blog as well as in person that when it comes to the benefits of my weight loss, it is the little things that matter most.

Today I am celebrating one little thing in particular.

For almost my entire lifetime, because of my weight, whenever I would go have blood drawn, it would be an absolute never-ending disaster.  Lab tech after lab tech, nurse after nurse and sometimes doctors would try to find a vein from which to draw blood.  It was a huge production and they would almost always all fail.

I have been stuck up to 10 times just to get one vial of blood.  I have had it taken out of my fingers, my hands, my arms, my wrists and just about everywhere else except for my eyeball.  I have had multiple tourniquets on my arm wrapped so tightly I thought my arm was going to pinch off and fall to the floor.

What's worse, because I am still on blood thinners due to my pulmonary embolism 2 years ago, I have to have blood drawn once a month to be sure it is not clotting and that I am on the right amount of Coumadin.

But my friends, no more.

Today, for the third time in a row, all 3 tubes of blood were drawn with a single stick, right in my arm, just like everybody else. 

There were no multiple sticks.  There were no multiple tries.  There were no nurses "going to get the doctor."  I was in and out in under 3 minutes.

You want motivation to lose weight?  There you have it.  It's the little things.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, inspirational. You may have seen this quote about the little things.. but just in case. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/quotation.html

    ReplyDelete