Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Commentary: The "Forks Over Knives" movement

There is a great movie everyone should see called "Forks Over Knives."  Easiest way to see it is on Netflix streaming (through your game console, on your computer, smartphone, etc.)

The central theme of the movie is that animal products (meat, dairy and so forth) are the causes of many of the diseases and health-related problems in the world.  The movie rather convincingly makes the argument that a vegan diet is much more healthy than anything else. 

They're absolutely right.  If you want to live as long as possible and be as healthy as possible, a vegan diet will do the trick. 

But I also think there is a middle ground. 

In my case, I gave up red meat 2 years ago and only eat lean meats: fish, pork, turkey and chicken breast. I only eat nonfat dairy products.  At last check, my total cholesterol was 95. 

I think I'm going to be OK.

My point is this.  If a person who lives on fast food, junk food and a very high-fat diet watches "Forks Over Knives," they would probably say "I could never do that."  It's an extreme step for a lot of people.

I think the message should be you should eat as much like they do in "Forks Over Knives" as you can.  Most people are never going to be vegans.  To those that are, I say congratulations!

To those that aren't, you're not a bad or unhealthy person if you do what I've done. 

But I highly, highly recommend everybody watch "Forks Over Knives." Very good documentary and very well done. 






1 comment:

  1. I saw that documentary a few weeks back and having been meaning to post about it on my blog. I thought it was really good, really well done and the research was SO interesting. It really helped support my idea of diet helping to fix diseases. I don't know if I could ever go fully vegan, but for now my goal is to try to incorporate more vegetarian meals into my diet.

    ReplyDelete