Saturday, April 21, 2012

None Of This Is Easy

This is sort of a serious subject for my blog, but I've been meaning to write about it.

The other day, a friend of mine pointed out another friend of mine who had recently gained a lot of weight.

"Look at them, they gained all that weight back."

I couldn't correct them fast enough: "It's very hard.  That could be either one of us."

People see the results I've been able to achieve over the last 2 years and mistakenly assume that I am cured.  I am not.  I have not cracked the secret weight loss code, I have not found the Easy Button.  I cannot sit here and say that I have lost this weight forever.  Why?

Because we are all day-to-day.  Back in 1999, I gained 200 pounds in about 9 months.  It was the most humiliating experience of my life.  That failure affects every decision I make today when it comes to managing this weight loss.

It's hard.

It's very, very hard.  It can be done, but it is difficult.  I am no better than anyone else.  I have only figured out what works for me, for the moment.  And really, it's just like any other addiction.  But see, the thing about food addiction is you can't quit.  You still have to eat.  And you have to eat quite often.

But back to making fun of overweight people.  Don't do it.  It's rude, it's not nice and we go through enough condescension and humiliation in our lives, we don't need it from anyone else.

The high and mighty among us might look at the overweight person and cast aspersions on them.  But what they don't realize is that one day, that very well might be them.  They get older.  Their metabolism slows down.  They start eating more calories.  Exercising less.  Surprise, they've gotten heavy too.

I've said it before and I will say it again: the overweight are the last group of people it is acceptable to discriminate against.  We know we're overweight, we don't need you to tell us.  Being overweight, while ultimately the responsibility of the person that is heavy, is a creation of the American way of life in the 21st century.

So be nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment