Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Question From Sonia

Sonia writes:

Bryan, do you blog all of your daily meals? That would be interesting to see just so I know what is good vs. bad. Also how do you be sure to keep track of calories and how much everything has in it? What's the easiest way for everyone? I've thought about it but it seems like a lot of work to count calories.

Hi Sonia.

I don't blog my daily menu, but this sample food journal gives you an idea of how I do it. 

It is a lot of work to count the calories, but surprisingly, it becomes easier over time. I have memorized the calorie counts for most things.  So for example, I know my daily breakfast is 585 calories.  I write that down.  I pack my lunch and 2 snacks for work, that is usually about 1,000 calories.  So it's very easy to total it up at the end of the day.  

I use a pen and small notepad to keep track of my food.  But there are all sorts of different ways to do this.   You can use your computer, a smartphone app, etc.  But it all works the same: you must keep track of your eating otherwise you have no idea how many calories you're consuming. 

As for what foods are good vs. bad, I would think more about the qualities you want in a food.  I eat from what I call "The 6 Food Groups."  They are:  Fruits, Vegetables, Whole Grains, Lean Meats, Low fat dairy and water.  You want to eat foods that are going to fill you up and leave you satisfied.  A 20 ounce bottle of Mountain Dew and a Snickers Bar totals 561 calories.  An entire pineapple is about 450 calories.  Which is going to fill you up more and leave you feeling satisfied?

Food companies and restaurant chains use fat, sugar and salt to stimulate and hook people on processed garbage and trash fast food.  This "food" is neither nutritious nor is it filling, so that is why people are hungry all the time after eating it. 

So eat up, write it down and don't forget to drink a lot of water.  Hope that helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment