Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sorry, I'm Not Having Any

You know these people. We are surrounded by them every day of every week.  You may even be one, for awhile I sure was.

They offer you food all the time, usually junk food.  They want you to eat it.  They mean well.  They equate food with friendship.  Or happiness.  Or love.  Or whatever. 

I have a name for them.  I call them force feeders. 

Here's how the exchange goes:

Them: "We're having _________, here have some!"

Me: "That's really nice of you to offer, and I really appreciate it, but I already had breakfast/lunch/dinner, so I'm good."

Now, at this point about half of the people respectfully say "Oh, OK" and walk away.  To those people, I say thank you. Keep up the good work. 

But then, there are the people who won't take no for an answer.  They are the force feeders. 

"Come on, we're all eating. Have some!"
"Are you starving yourself?  You should eat!"
"Just have a little...it won't hurt!"

Here is what I tell these people: "I really appreciate the offer, but I'm not having any. Thank you, though."

And, a few of these people have really become heated. And I know they are insulted that I won't eat their food.  Politely declining is not enough. 

And here is why I am not having any, no matter what it is, healthy or not. 

I plan the food out I am going to eat.  Not eating food I didn't plan on eating before I left the house helps control compulsive overeating.  I don't have to worry about situations where surprise food might be available because I am simply not eating it. 

So don't be a force feeder.  Enjoy your food, eat what you'd like.  It's a free country.  Just don't try and make me eat it, because it will be a waste of time. 

4 comments:

  1. Man, you are amazing. That is so hard. I am one of your hypocrite followers. I really admire how you tell it like it is. I even got my skinny husband to read your blog as he has trouble understanding my struggles. So I'm still messing around, not committed to doing what I know I should do. Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Thanks for doing it so succintly!

    I plan out my food, too - it keeps me sane (or saner LOL)! My least favorite response is: "You can have just a little. It won't hurt you. We're celebrating!" "But you're thinner now," also gets to me if I let it. These are the exact kinds of things I would say to myself to keep myself wildly overweight. Saying something different - "no thanks," in this case - makes my life much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is slightly off topic, yet strangely on topic all at the same time. I don't eat other people's food, period because I just don't trust their kitchen habits. That may sound snobbish but it's true. All you have to do is get burned exactly one time on bad potato salad ... or deviled egg .. or whatever.

    Let me preface this: if I know the person then ok. But if it's a carry-in, where the the force feeders are lurking, uh-huh. Not doing it.

    It's better to plan your food and stay the course, as Bryan has said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That used to happen to me but once people realized that I plan my food out every day and I'm health healthy and working out they stopped.

    ReplyDelete