Friday, June 15, 2012

And Then There Was One.....

Today is the greatest day of the last 2 years.

When I was hospitalized 2 years ago for a pulmonary embolism that nearly took my life, the doctors told me I would be on Coumadin for the rest of my life.

I remember asking the doctor what I would need to do to get off of it. His response, I will never forget it, was:  "Forever.  Unless you lose the weight."

Coumadin is both the greatest drug ever and the worst drug ever.  It has kept me alive and it saved my life, but at the same time, it has a list of side effects a mile long.  I have to eat the same thing over and over again so as to not alter the level of Vitamin K in my body and cause my blood to clot.

If my blood runs too thin, I start to bleed (use your imagination.)  If I cut myself, blood gets everywhere.

But my friends, those days are over.  Because....(drum roll please)....today my doctor took me off of it.

No more Coumadin.  But, he told me: "if you get another blood clot, you will go back on it for life."

This means I am down to one prescription.  Prior to today, that was Diovan 160mg once a day.

Thanks to my lower blood pressure readings, he cut it in half.

So now, my sole prescription drug that I take is just the 80mg of Diovan. That's all.  And I look forward to the day when I take no prescriptions.

It's not often that I ever have any pride about what I've done or celebrate my accomplishments, but today is that day.

All I have ever cared about when it comes to losing weight is getting healthier.  Living longer.  Today is a huge step toward that.  My goal is to get off all medication.

All of it.


1 comment:

  1. Bryan! What a great accomplishment! Way to go!!! You should most definitely be very happy and proud of this accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete