Thursday, August 23, 2012

Questions from Amber

I get some great questions in the comments sometimes and people don't always leave a way to get back to them, so I thought I would answer these questions in a blog posting.

Hello Bryan,

I love your honest and candid advice. I have a couple questions and would greatly appreciate any response you would be willing to give. First, you mention in some of your earlier posts that you started by eating around 2400 calories a day. Do you still eat that many calories? If not, when did you start tapering them? and what has been your strategy up until this point regarding that?

The amount of food I have eaten has fluctuated throughout the 2 years, 2 months and 3 days I have been doing this.  In general, the calories I have consumed has been steady at about 2,500.  For a time, it was closer to 3,000 a day. On days I have struggled, it's gone up to 3,200. But as a general rule, I try and stick with about 2,400-2,500, give or take. 

If a person has a lot of weight to lose, I actually think they should not focus on calories as the main thing in the beginning. Focus on re-training your taste buds to accept healthy food and make you feel full.  I had to "detox" from the high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar, processed food diet I was eating. For example, if you weigh 577 pounds like I did, you could start with 5,000 calories and slowly ramp it down over time. 

The second question is, are there certain foods or snacks that you may have eaten at the start of your journey, but have cut out along the way? 

Yes.  As a food addict, there are certain things I cannot eat because they taste "too good."  For instance, I don't eat cold breakfast cereal.  Not because it's bad, but because I cannot stop. The food that I eat requires a careful balance of being nutritious and filling, but not "too good."  I don't eat peanut butter for that same reason. 

You mentioned that you were not as concerned about what you ate, then you were about keeping your calories around 2400. I feel this idea, offers great hope to the severely addicted. That you have to start somewhere, so even if you can't eat like a seasoned nutritionist yet, at least get started with what you can do.

There is some confusion here. I am very concerned with what I eat, but I agree with what you're saying overall.  Everything is a work in progress and you have to start somewhere.  I have to do what I have to do to get through the day and everyone else does too. 

That being said, at what point do you feel stricter control should become part of the plan? 

Everyone is different, but what worked for me is focusing more on eating filling quantities of healthy food at first.  Then after a few weeks, start measuring it and writing it down.  You have to develop a routine. 

But food addiction is real and it is a lot of work to manage.  It can be done.  I hope that helps.  Any questions? E-mail me bganey@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Great advice! It's interesting to see how different everyone's approach is. It's funny you mentioned two of my favorite foods: cereal, and peanut butter. I can sure see why you decided to give them up. One serving is never enough. I've switched to a healthier cereal (kashi), and I measure my servings, but I eat it almost every morning. And, I love peanut butter, but really have to watch my portion sizes. I want to eat a couple cups instead of a couple tablespoons. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ganey you are so great that you took effort to Help others and encourage them to achieve something that they feel impossible. I really appreciate your work here and you as well.
    Keeping Post and Thanks for sharing TC :)

    Regards Stecy
    Hypnotizr for WeightLoss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I completely understand what you are saying about peanut butter. It is healthy but I love it too much and cant control myself so I cant afford to eat it. Same thing with dried figs.

    ReplyDelete