Sunday, August 5, 2012

Television Fuels An Olympic Appetite

I've always known that watching TV makes me want to eat because of the food commercials.  As a result, I don't watch TV much anymore.

But, like millions of Americans this past week, I have been watching the 2012 Olympic Games in London. And guess what?  True to form, I have been eating more.

About 500 extra calories per day than I normally do, to be exact.  When I weigh in on Tuesday, I don't anticipate losing any weight.  I'm not going to be surprised.

It really is amazing, the connection between watching television and overeating.  There is nothing healthy advertised on TV to eat.  The commercials wind their way through our subconscious telling us to eat, eat and eat some more.

Then like a smoker with a cup of coffee, there becomes this strange dual dependency between eating and watching TV.  I can't have one without the other.

So what do I do?

1.) Recognize what is happening.

2.) Stop doing it.

3.) Turn off the TV.

The good news is the Olympics are over this week, so I can move on!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the olympics are making weight loss harder for me too. I eat the same, but I find myself watching swimming on tv instead of getting to the pool myself ;-) There was an interesting editorial in the lancet about junk food companies sponsoring the olympics, you might like it (http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)61198-2/fulltext).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't eat when your are watching TV because when your are watching TV you can't care for your dieting and eat more. Turn off your TV before eating and take strict diet foods to keep your weight within a healthy limit.


    physical workout Rutherford

    ReplyDelete