Sunday, December 2, 2012

Why not just stop?

I used to get the question all the time when I weighed over 500 pounds.

"Why not just stop eating so much?"

The answer to that ridiculous question is not easy.  But the simple answer is this: because you can't. It's like any other addiction.  Why doesn't the drug addict stop doing cocaine?  Why don't you stop smoking?  Why don't you stop drinking coffee?  Why don't you stop drinking alcohol?  Why don't you stop eating fast food? And on and on.

The more I think about it and the longer my lifestyle change goes on ( 2 1/2 years and counting,) the more I realize there is no sure-fire, guaranteed way for anyone to change their life permanently before they're ready.

You can give someone the information.

You can be supportive.

You can show them the way.

But there is no way you can do it for them.

Which is what I have learned with my clients in my weight loss consulting business. There is no one, perfect way to lose weight and keep it off.  My way worked for me, but it might not work for you.

But I know what doesn't work.  Diets.  Gimmicks. Fads. Living off frozen dinners.  Starvation.  None of it works.  Sure, you'll lose weight. But what do those plans offer you 5 years out?  Right. Nothing.

So how does someone change?

They change because they (not you, not me, not anything or anyone else) reach a point where they can't take it anymore. But they have to arrive at this point. There is nothing you can say to them to get them to change.

Nothing, nothing, nothing.

No one could tell me anything to make me change my lifestyle before I hit rock bottom and almost died. There was not a thing in the world anyone could do or say.  It was only when I decided to make it all happen that it was going to happen.  The same goes for you.

And one final thing:  if somebody has lost a bunch of weight in the past and then gained it all back, please do not say "You did it before, you can do it again.  You know what works!" to them.  If they gained all the weight back, their plan failed.  It didn't work. Repeating it over again is only going to achieve the same results.