Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy 3rd Birthday to my Lifestyle Change!




3 years ago today, my life changed forever. I will never forget June 20, 2010.

It started like any other day, except I had been experiencing shortness of breath for about 24 hours and had not gone to the hospital. That stupid decision would nearly cost me my life.

I went to work, and while walking through the parking lot...it happened.  The best way to describe what happened to me was I started to suffocate. I couldn't breathe. Or rather, I could breathe just fine, but absolutely no oxygen was making it into my bloodstream.

After I collapsed in the very hot South Carolina sun in the middle of a parking lot, I remember thinking I was having a heart attack. I was certain this was the end. I remember the feeling of disappointment at only getting to live for 37 years.

After 8 hours in the emergency room, they guessed that what almost killed me were several blood clots in my lungs. They had no way of knowing for sure because I didn't fit in any of the machines to find out.

Modern medicine couldn't even help me. I was too big.

No more.

Every few hours when they went to draw blood from me in the hospital for 6 long days, they couldn't find a vein.  Because I was so heavy.

No more.

Because of my size and condition, my mobility was severely reduced. While I was in the hospital, I had to have someone help me go to the bathroom.

No more.

Doctor after doctor treated me like I was a hopeless individual who was so far gone, I would need to either have weight loss surgery or sadly I would just eat myself to death.

No more.

Once I realized I was going to live (for the time being,)  I realized I was being given a gift.  A second chance.

The pulmonary embolism that almost took my life would keep coming back unless I changed my lifestyle.

No more.

When I was finally released a week later, I put on the same giant, almost 80-inch waist pants you see in my before picture and walked out of the hospital, head held high.

I am never coming back here, I told myself. No more.

One doctor I saw after I left the hospital told me weight loss surgery was my only option. "To do it on your own would be impossible. It would take 3 years just to lose 300 pounds."

Well doctor, I'm here today to say you were wrong. It only took 2 1/2 years to lose the first 300 pounds. It took 3 years to lose 371 pounds.

I've never really celebrated my weight loss, other than enjoying the benefits and the new life it provides me.  The reason is because I know that the only thing that matters is that I go back out and do the same thing every day.

I don't get to be this weight without earning it every day. Anything else is a lie.

Glad I made it to 3 years. Here's to many more!

16 comments:

  1. I've read your blog a few times and have great appreciation for your incredible lifestyle change. Your three year anniversary of healthy choices is a great day to come out from lurking to say congratulations. What a gift you continue to give yourself! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!
    I`m just getting into this blogging stuff myself.
    http://choppyskinny.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done and happy third birthday. You are a true inspiration.
    James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Thanks for the inspiration to keep going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations ! Happy birthday. Im from Tahiti and I want to loose weight as you did, you are my inspiration. Thanks and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations ! Happy birthday.I want to loose weight as you did, You are a true inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. heheheheh.. Happy Birthday to you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! Awesome cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations discover http://1weightloss1tips.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations alots.. great patients you have
    I want to introduce a new Weight loss surgery-Dr. Sergio Verboonen. Leading sleeve surgeon in Mexico.
    Dr. Sergio Verboonen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to share. Health Workgroup members have provided preliminary background data to include in the economic scenarios that describe the impact Health.
    BREAST LIFT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Growing Number of Patients Traveling to Mexico for Treatment.
    MINI BYPASS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most “diet” foods and drinks are loaded with additives that actually make you fatter. Learn the truth about what you eat by visiting => www.fat-loss-factor.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Post. I have lost fat very fast.
    Do you Want to know secret? This helped me out:
    http://tinyurl.com/pxsvzt5

    ReplyDelete