Saturday, August 24, 2013

Another Milestone: Below 200

Yesterday was a great day.

It was time for my monthly weigh-in, but I had put it off a few days for superstitious reasons. I really wasn't sure what the scale would say.

People who lose large amounts of weight experience what I like to call "fat paranoia."  This is a condition with no known cure.  Despite all the overwhelming evidence, you become convinced you are getting fatter. The shirt becomes a little more snug. The pants are tighter. "I'm getting bigger, I just know it."  The mind plays tricks on you like that.

So finally I decided enough was enough and I was going to face the music. If it was a few pounds more, I was not going to overreact. I would just exercise more. Tighten up the portions.  I weigh on an old-fashioned balance beam scale, the kind you find at most doctor's offices. These are the most accurate. Digital scales are very inaccurate, I have found.

For more than a year, the large bottom weight was on 200. I slid the top weight all the way to zero and the beam still did not rise.

It was time to move the bottom weight to 150. I couldn't believe my eyes. The scale balanced between 199 and 200.

I finally did it. I was under 200. I couldn't believe it. After all this time, here I was. I remember for years thinking how ecstatic and satisfied I would be to just get under 400. Under 300. Around 250. Anything.

But under 200? It didn't seem possible. Everything I had ever been told by the naysayers wasn't true. I'm not starving. I'm not "too skinny" (at least I don't think so) and loose skin is not hanging off of me to the point that it's a problem.

But I do know one thing: this is not the end, this is just the beginning. When you reach the end of the weight loss rainbow like I have, nothing has been achieved. I can't just sit back and be satisfied with what I have accomplished.  I now have to maintain it. I must do exactly what I have been doing for the last 3 years, 2 months and 4 days. Because if I don't, the weight will come back. All of it, plus more.

I don't often celebrate anything having to do with my weight loss, but for now, I will say...here's to getting under 200!


Bryan Ganey is the author of "Impossible: How I Lost Nearly 400 Pounds Without Surgery,"  now available from Amazon.com.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome for you! Inspiring to me! Thank you. Congratulations on meeting your milestone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My amazing, amazing friend! There's no doubt in my mind and my heart that you will conquer each day to maintain the hard work you've experienced and continue this marvelous journey! You have so much to teach others also! Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go, guy! Very proud for you! I hope all the running around in training has helped!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post thanks for sharing this information

    How to Reduce My Fat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing weight shouldn't be as hard as many people try to make it. People who are desperate to achieve weight loss are often prone to take more risks. The only reason most people fail in their fitness goals is that they have good intentions at first to adopt a new lifestyle, yet after a few weeks or months, they abandon their good intentions and slip right back into their old bad habits that gave them the excess body fat in the first place.

    ReplyDelete