Tuesday, October 8, 2013

BMI Strikes Again: 11-Year-Old Gets "Fat Letter"

BMI and the morons who rely on it have claimed another victim.

The Today Show brings us the story of Kristen Grasso, a healthy, fit, athletic 11-year-old child who was sent home with a "fat letter" by the simpletons at her school.

You see, the 5' 3" tall Kristen weighs 124 pounds, which equates to a BMI of 22.  This is considered "overweight."

I will say it over and over again until I draw my last breath on this Earth: BMI is a dumb statistic and is used as a weapon to label people as being obese, when in fact they are not.  People who follow and rely on BMI are idiots. There is no other way to put it.

The "overweight" Kristen Grasso playing sports



America's weight problem is bad enough: we don't need to exaggerate it by pretending it's worse than it is. And now this poor girl has been called fat.  By her school. Unbelievable.

Memo to the school systems nationwide: ditch the fat letters.  Focus on children who obviously have a real weight problem (I can help you decide, if needed.)  Then schedule an in-person, sit-down conversation with the parents.  No letters.

And finally, I would like to remind you that according to the BMI chart, I am still "obese."  To which I say....


Bryan Ganey is the author of "Impossible: How I Lost Nearly 400 Pounds Without Surgery," now available in print and e-book from Amazon.com.

4 comments:

  1. Unbelievable!!! So glad all of my kids are grown and on their own, and I don't have to deal with the school systems anymore (unfortunately my kids have to deal with it with my grandchildren). If this child is obese then all children should be so, because she looks like a very healthy "obese" child. I guess it would take a walking skeleton to satisfy the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed from your blog. you know the importance of changing eating habits to maintain weight loss surgery success.
    Thanks for providing information.
    For more information please visit here weight loss surgery Houston operations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your post. This post really help me a lot and I have learnt some new things from your blog. I am bookmark your blog for future visit.
    pure cambogia slim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your post. This post really awesome and very helpful to me. Please keep posting good contents. Thank you.
    kimera

    ReplyDelete