Monday, December 1, 2014

I Rode My Bicycle 100 Miles! - My First Century Ride

I grew up riding a bicycle. It's probably the one thing that kept my weight somewhat in check before I started high school. Once I became an adult and too heavy to ride a bike anymore, I would hear about these century rides.

"I could never do that," I would tell myself.  "That's for skinny people."

Well, I am here to tell you: I did it. I am now a skinny person. I rode 100 miles on Thanksgiving Day, 2014.  Here was the route:



100 miles, straight up U.S. 52.  For those of you that don't live in South Carolina, that is a 4-lane highway.

For the first 60 miles or so, from Moncks Corner to Lake City, I experienced a strong headwind. At times, I was pedaling uphill, into the wind at about 5 miles an hour. By the time I stopped and took a break, my energy was gone and I thought about quitting.

But then the little voice in my head started talking to me:  There is no giving up.  Quitting is unacceptable. You've ridden 60 miles, You will ride the other 40 today. There will be no disappointment.  You will follow through on this ride.  Nothing stands in the way. 

And with that, I wolfed down another 1,000 calories and got back on the bike and resumed pedaling.  I had not eaten enough on the ride up to that point, so miles 60-80 were absolutely brutal.  But I kept riding and stopped a few times to eat.  I took another break at the 80 mile point, Florence, SC.  Again, I thought about quitting.  But then I thought back to all those times I had struggled.  Like the time I finished a 10K race at over 400 pounds and I thought my knees were going to explode.



This is nothing. You've got this.  Get back on the bike and finish the ride.  

I got back in the saddle and pedaled like my life depended on it.  And I made it.  Here is a picture of me at the finish, at the 100 mile point about 7 miles north of Darlington, SC:


The bike is a custom-made Ritchey Road Logic, generously made available to me by a friend (and follower of this blog,) Dr. Clint Harshaw.



So there it is...my first century ride!  I am not a prideful person, but on this one...I earned it.  I rode 100 miles.  My next challenge?  To do it again and do it faster.  How about a double-century ride? Anybody in the Charleston, SC area up for a ride?  Drop me a line.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you cannot do something.  They're wrong, you can do it.  Go out there.  Make it happen.  Eliminate all the negativity from your life and chase your dreams.  Go get the life you deserve.  Don't wait another second.  






29 comments:

  1. very nice i am very impressed from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the useful information I would suggest that you learn with this video. Be helpful and get maximum knowledge about the Pregnancy. This E-book'll suggest you : >>> 3 week diet <<<

      Delete
  2. Definitely, what an outstanding website full of informative posts, I will surely bookmark this site. Phen375 Online

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an awesome accomplishment, Bryan. You're really an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Looking forward for the next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also visiting this site regularly, this web site is really nice and the users are genuinely sharing good thoughts.4 minute abs jake hunter review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bryan, wow very inspiring, just read this now and we need someone like you to promote healthy living. :) I know what you feel.

    I am a 40-year old mother to two lovely girls. I work a full-time job that includes some travel.

    I was frustrated and depressed about the way my body looked and felt. I couldn't get back to where I was.

    I started to look for a way to get in shape and shed those unwanted pounds from pregnancy but going to the gym was not in the budget at the time.

    I began my fitness journey just 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice article. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Looking forward for the next blog. Zumba Class

    ReplyDelete
  8. All thanks to Dr Zadson who helped me loose weight when all effots proved abortive. Am on this blog to help those in need of weight loss get the help you need. Worry no more just contact this great man via eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com and he will help you with a spell, in less than 1 week after i contacted him i lost 15 pounds and ever since i have been having normal meals no more diets and my shape is perfect. What more can i say than a big thank you to DR ZADSON of eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this blog. Lose your weight with very easy and quickly method by taking Pure Cambogia Ultra weight loss supplement.
    http://purecambogiaultra247.com/fatburning-workouts/

    ReplyDelete

  10. Wow i have always thought that life is all about hard work of course thats true but until now i never believed in miracles. Its been 2 weeks now after i came across a post on a blog that Dr Zadson of eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com helps people with a spell for weight loss. And after trying all forms of diet and even tired of using the gym i decided to give him a try and mailed him. He told me what to do and in less than 1 week i lost weight drastically and am in good shape even my husband is still very much suprised at this great happening. Am thanking this God sent man and decided to write down his email for those who might need such help. Once again eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

  11. Wonderful advice and I have also one more an Amazing Weight Loss & Health Tips E-Book
    Your life can 'Recover'!! you will got the result from this E-Book. That is why I'm sharing with You.
    Get this 100% free Weight Loss & Health Tips E-Book, Which will help you to drop the extra fat within 3 weeks. So Download the E-Book......Thanks
    Weight Loss
    Lose Weight Fast
    How To Lose Weight Fast
    Weight Loss Tips

    ReplyDelete
  12. 100 Miles!!!!!
    Amazing !!!!!
    It was really a great hard work.
    I'm being so inspire from you.

    Metadrol informações

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job !! It was really a challenging achievement.
    I'm so inspired from you.

    pure cambogia slim

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read your blog and I noticed some useful tips from this post.
    Thanks for sharing some unique information with your post.

    kimera

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, really wonderful article!!! you did great job, you are the best ever. I hope this will help to others. this is the best weight loss secrets i ever read!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unbelievable story! You are such a great inspiration! Thank you for sharing your journey with us all. I am just beginning the Dave Ramsey Debt Free journey. Your tenacity gives me courage. Young man, you are made of some real great stuff. Please continue to encourage others. Hope you give God Glory for your life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually, i am even more impressed by your Debt Free journey. Tell us more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the useful information I would suggest that you learn with this video. Be helpful and get maximum knowledge about the Pregnancy. This E-book'll suggest you : >>> 3 week diet <<<

    ReplyDelete
  20. Less Cristiano Ronaldo-Get best more healthy living style, Less Cristiano Ronaldo, protein, good nutrition at goherbalife.com.Visit us and know about weight control and tips for lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for your post. This post helps me a lot, and I have learnt some new things from your blog. I've bookmarked your blog for the future visit.
    pure cambogia slim

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hot Shapers Belt in Pakistan are normal fitness attire which have been intended with Neotex smart textile skill helps your body to be slim and smart by growing core temperature helping your body sweat and sweat more while wearing them during daily actions Telebrand Hot Shapers Belt in Lahore.
    hot belt for weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  23. I even have been getting a lot of helpful and informative material in your web site. youtube.com video

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your post , really i have found much use full information in it .. I also have found Top 5 Fat loss foods

    ReplyDelete
  25. VLCC offers scientific Weight Loss solutions and therapeutic approach to beauty treatments, making beauty, fitness and health accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!.
    exercise tips

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a brilliant writing and very pleased to find this site. I couldn’t discover to much different information on your blog. I will surely be back again to look at some other important posts that you have in future.
    gym

    ReplyDelete